Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Is it New Year yet?


Rahim could hear the sound of crackers bursting at a distance. Yet he could not see them. 

His Ammi had strictly told him to stay at home.

"Why Ammi... I too want to celebrate new year like Abbas. Why cant I go out... There is still time if I go now. I can make it back early" Rahim begged.
Being a innocent 6 year old kid didn't help Rahim's case...

Ammi shook her head in disapproval.

"No" she screamed. She was slowly losing patience in him.
"You better eat your dinner and go to sleep. I don't want to hear another word. Is that understood?"

Rahim started sobbing. He quietly got up and went to the adjoining room out of her sight.

Tears trickled down her eyes as she starred at the place where Rahim was sitting a few moments ago..

"You understand his curiosity right?" A calm voice interrupted her thoughts. It was her husband Ismail. He smiled looking at her. 

"I do understand your concern for him, but at his age, he should be playing outside and be with his friends, Not hiding in a bunker. I'll talk to him. You don't stress yourself"
He hugged her and she found peace in him.

It had been a whirlwind year for them. And now she did not want lose Rahim.

Abbas and his family were killed a week back in the bombings in the neighboring city of Baghdad.


-Shraviii

No comments: